BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Close Encounter of an Ugly Kind


I still remember quite vividly a few years back, when I took my elderly dad for a follow-up appointment after his eye operation. That day, it was an Asian nurse in her late 40s attending the reception (Royal Eye & Ear Hospital, Melb). While waiting for dad's turn, I noticed her politeness and patience with the Aussie patients, esp. the elderly. From her accent, I also knew she was either Malaysian or Singaporean. I thought to myself, "Wow, classic Asian virtues, heartwarming...还是自己人呢。"

But this thought was shortlived. When it came to dad's turn, her attitude changed. She became cold, straightfaced and talked without looking at us. Due to dad's hard of hearing (being in his late 70s), she became impatient & rude. She assumed I was merely a government appointed interpreter. "You tell this old man, blah, blah, blah..". That was when I leaned forward, stared straight in her eyes and "sc**wed" her - back to front, centre, left & right. (It's rude, I know. Sorry).

"Hey you, this old man happens to be my father!...", I blasted her a good minute or two, right in front of everyone. Funny to see her embarassed, shell-shocked face. Miraculously, she became apologetic & polite again. And even began to speak to my father in Mandarin! A true b*tch indeed. She should have treated everyone with impartiality, more so to her own kind in a foreign land...
(Written on: 05/10/2008)

4 comments:

said...

woah~ she's so "dog eye" ?!? only treat the caucasian in a good manner but not asian? damn her !!!

Icy Fire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[SK] said...

hmmm, reminds me of those air-steward and air-stewardess.. exactly the same attitude, they only freak-out if you speak loud and complain.. :p

Icy Fire said...

SK:
Yeah, i agree with you. Sometimes (if not most times), it is fully justifiable to let such characters have a taste of their own medicine. In this case, this nurse happened to meet her nemesis - me :)